In 1925 a mission style public elementary school replaced the two story, four room school house. It had 13 classrooms. The district superintendent was Leslie Maffey. Notice the bell tower. Teachers would pull a long rope to make the bell ring. When the bell, rang school was about to start. This school was used through 1958. (Alvarado Walking Tour. Timothy Swenson. Union City 50th Anniversary Celebration Committee. 2009.
Japanese Americans operated language schools at Centerville (Fremont), Alvarado, and Sunol from the 1920s until 1942. (History: Nov. 28, 2007. Tri-City Voice.)